Saturday, November 27, 2010

Hello Hello

My name is Meredith. I'm stuck at home most of the time due to a chronic pain disability. I love to do cross-stitch, embroidery, and blackwork and have been working at these arts for some time. Now I'm going to use this blog to post my own original patterns, motifs, and designs.

To start us off in grand fashion I present the conversion of a classic Roman image found in numerous mosaics into a cross-stitch pattern. It converted very well and I'm so happy with it.

Here is the original i
mage, representing the fragility of life and the ease with which it can swing hard to a new direction. The scales and skull balance on the wheel of fortune or wheel of fate, the bags and cloth attempts to balance the whole works on the delicacy of the butterfly.


Now here is my pattern, made from the image. This mosaic is found numerous places with slightly differing versions. It is obviously in the public domain so feel free to use my pattern if you wish.


When I make this the entire background with be shades of teal (with only slight shade differences, the make it look a little weathered) but I have no filled in every single square because I'm lazy. It is the same with the bottom line which will all be that grey-brown color but again, lazyness.

The next classic/ancient image I hope to create a pattern for is a picture of Vercingetorix (king of the Gauls at the time of Julius Caesar's Gallic campaigns). Either just him alone or the much painted/sculpted image of him surrendering his arms to Caesar. I am beyond nerdy about ancient Rome, particularly during Caesar's time. I have always been a chatterbox, but the few times I spent more than five minutes not speaking in my childhood I was primarily engaged in imagining myself as a Roman centurion during the Gallic or British campaigns.

And now I get to express that happiness with thread and traditional techniques!

1 comment:

  1. That looks great! I can't wait to see it on fabric!

    ReplyDelete